So it’s your senior year and aside from graduation, it’s time to start thinking about that one thing… senior pictures! But what if you don’t even know where to start? Most importantly, your senior portrait experience should be fun and easy going from beginning to end. To help with that, I’m super excited to announce that it’s Senior Week here on the blog! Over the next few days, i’ll be posting all about how to get the most out of your session. Styling, props, locations, and more- it’s all coming this week in the ultimate KHP Senior Guide!
WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE, DURING, & AFTER YOUR SESSION
Trust me, I get it! Even just the idea of having your senior pictures taken can be intimidating. But it totally doesn’t have to be! This session is all about YOU- your personality, style, interests, and vision.
Before we can bring your vision your life, it’s important to understand what you can expect throughout your entire experience.
BEFORE YOUR SESSION…
- Yearbook - do you have a submission deadline or certain photo requirements you need to meet? These two details are super important to the scheduling and overall outcome of your session! Be sure to inform me of anything yearbook related as soon as possible.
- Pinterest is your friend- create a board just for your senior sesh! It’s a great way to get inspiration for poses, outfits, and locations, and it’ll reinsure that your vision is brought to life. If you get stuck you’ll also have something to refer back to!
- Locations- find some places in your area that stand out to you. If you can’t think of any, break it down a step further- what kind of vibe are you going for? Downtown, in a studio, an open field? I’ll have some great recommendations for you, but it definitely helps if you have a general idea of where you might want to shoot!
- Styling- Although I will have a full post on this coming soon, once you have a location figured out it’ll be way easier to pick out what you’ll be wearing! Choose clothes that will be comfortable and reflect your personality. Another thing- are you going to want your hair and makeup done? I do have artists available (depending on the date), but keep in mind that it will add to your cost!
- Timing- we’ll work together to determine when the best time of day to shoot is depending on your location and what time of year it is! I typically suggest morning or evening for outdoor sessions, just because that’s when lighting is the best!
DURING YOUR SESSION…
- You can expect your session to take anywhere from 1-2 hours, so make sure you plan accordingly!
- Once you arrive, we’ll meet face to face and discuss your vision along with any worries you might have. I’ll have your inspiration board on hand, so worst case scenario we can always refer back to it!
- I work in a walk-stop-shoot method! We’ll start by walking around, looking for specific spots that we both enjoy. When we find something, we can stop there and shoot! I’m always open to suggestions, so please feel free to point out anything that stands out to you!
- Don’t be afraid to be silly! Sometimes, the goofy shots are some of the cutest! Of course you’re going to want some gorgeous photos of you looking off into the distance, playing with your hair, but we also want some that showcase your personality. Laugh, jump, stick your tongue out- embrace who you are!
- I totally recommend bringing a water bottle with you, especially in the warmer months. We’ll be moving around a lot, so it’s important to stay hydrated!
- Outfit changes- my basic senior package includes 2 outfits. Before we start shooting, we’ll talk about what will look best in certain spots and go from there!
- Props- bring them! If you’re in extracurricular activities, bring something from them. If you’re not, you can always bring items that reflect your interests and hobbies.
AFTER YOUR SESSION…
- I always end my sessions by asking “is there anything I didn’t get that you’d like me to?” This is your opportunity (mom or dad too) to think outside the box and get that ~ one ~ pose that i didn’t think of!
- Payment- Keep in mind that no photos will be delivered to you until your full session rate has been paid! I accept just about every form of payment (cash, check, venmo, zelle, paypal), so get with me and we’ll figure out what works best!
- Sneak Peeks- sit back and relax! I’ll be sending some sneak peeks for you to look at and post within a week of your session.
- Photo delivery- When i’m all finished up with your edits, I’ll email you with a link and password to your online gallery! You can download your photos right from that link and from there you can post, print, and share them freely!
- Posting- you are free to post any photos from your session, i just ask that you tag me (my socials can be found at the bottom of my home page)! Along with that, please don’t put any filters on top of your photos. If you are unhappy with your edits feel free to contact me.
- Reviews- I love hearing from my clients! I’ll probably ask you to write a review of your experience. They don’t have to be a certain length, but 3-5 sentences is probably best.
- Referrals- I do have a referral program available to any client- refer a friend and take $15 off your next session. They must mention your name during booking!